For Immediate Release: March 18, 2011
Contact: Mary Trupo (202) 482-3809
Obama Trade Official to Lead Education Trade Mission to Indonesia and Vietnam
56 U.S. colleges/universities join Under Secretarty Sánchez to explore global opportunities
WASHINGTON –Francisco Sánchez, Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade today announced 56 colleges and universities will join him on the Obama Administration’s first education services trade mission to Jakarta, Indonesia, and Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, Vietnam, April 2-8, 2011. The mission will explore opportunities for international student recruitment and partnerships with higher education institutions in Indonesia and Vietnam. More than 20,000 students from these two countries currently attend U.S. colleges and universities.
“Education is one of our most valuable exports,” Sánchez said. “The schools participating in this mission represent the best of what America has to offer international students.”
Education and training rank among the top 10 U.S. services exports. Tuition and living expenses from international students and their families brought in nearly $19 billion to the U.S. economy during the 2009-2010 academic year.
The mission will include education sector briefings and a student fair at each of the three stops, with additional matchmaking and networking sessions with local schools and faculty.
Indonesia and Vietnam are two key export markets for U.S. companies. Expanding educational opportunities for their students will provide direct benefits to U.S. companies doing business with these critical markets in the future.
“As students return to their home countries after graduation and become part of the growing middle class, they will have a better understanding and appreciation of American products and services, and will be more likely to become our next customers,” said Sánchez.
This trade mission advances President Obama’s National Export Initiative which aims to double U.S. exports by 2015, supporting economic and job growth. ITA actively promotes U.S. education as an export throughout its network of domestic and international offices. For additional information, please visit www.trade.gov/trade-missions. Follow the trade mission on Twitter: @TradeGov.
The following colleges and universities were selected for participation in the mission:
- Baruch College – City University of New York – New York, N.Y.
- Bellevue College – Bellevue, Wash.
- California State University, East Bay – Hayward, Calif.
- California State University, Fullerton – Fullerton, Calif.
- California State University, San Bernardino – San Bernardino, Calif.
- Chemeketa Community College – Salem, Ore.
- Columbia University - American Language Program – New York, N.Y.
- Daemen College – Amherst, N.Y.
- Dominican University of California – San Rafael, Calif.
- Drexel University English Language Center – Philadelphia, Pa.
- East Carolina University – Greenville, N.C.
- ELS Language Centers – Princeton, N.J.
- Foothill and De Anza Colleges – Los Altos, Calif.
- Guilford College – Greensboro, N.C.
- Hawaii Pacific University – Honolulu, Hawaii
- Hillsborough Community College – Tampa, Fla.
- Hofstra University – Hempstead, N.Y.
- Indiana University – Purdue – Indianapolis, Ind.
- Kutztown University – Kutztown, Pa.
- Lake Land College – Mattoon, Ill.
- Leeward Community College – Pearl City, Hawaii
- Miami University – Oxford, Ohio
- Missouri State University – Springfield, Mo.
- North Dakota State University – Fargo, N.D.
- Northern Illinois University – DeKalb, Ill.
- Park University – Parkville, Mo.
- Pennsylvania State University – University Park, Pa.
- Santa Barbara City College – Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Savannah College of Art & Design – Savannah, Ga.
- Seattle Central Community College – Seattle, Wash.
- Shawnee State University – Portsmouth, Ohio
- Spring International Language Center (SILC) – Denver, Colo.
- State University of New York at Buffalo – Buffalo, N.Y.
- State University of New York at Stony Brook – Stony Brook, N.Y.
- Tacoma Community College – Tacoma, Wash.
- Tarleton University – Stephenville, Texas
- University of Arkansas – Fayetteville, Ark.
- University of California - Santa Cruz – Santa Cruz, Calif.
- University of Central Missouri – Warrensburg, Mo.
- University of Cincinnati – Cincinnati, Ohio
- University of Delaware English Language Institute (ELI) – Newark, Del.
- University of Findlay – Findlay, Ohio
- University of Florida - ELI – Gainesville, Fla.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa – Honolulu, Hawaii
- University of Incarnate Word – San Antonio, Texas
- University of Kansas – Lawrence, Kan.
- University of Nebraska at Omaha – Omaha, Neb.
- University of North Texas – Denton, Texas
- University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, Pa.
- University of Texas at San Antonio – San Antonio, Texas
- Utah State University – Logan, Utah
- Washington State University – Pullman, Wash.
- Wayne State University – Detroit, Mich.
- West Virginia University – Morgantown, W.Va.
- Western Michigan University – Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Whatcom Community College – Bellingham, Wash.
International Trade Administration
The International Trade Administration (ITA) is the premier resource for American companies competing in the global marketplace. ITA has 2,100 employees assisting U.S. exporters in more than 100 U.S. cities and 77 countries worldwide. For more information on ITA visit www.trade.gov.
The International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, manages this global trade site to provide access to ITA information on promoting trade and investment, strengthening the competitiveness of U.S. industry, and ensuring fair trade and compliance with trade laws and agreements. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein. This site contains PDF documents. A PDF reader is available from Adobe Systems Incorporated.