- Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S.
- Employment & Trade
- Export Trading Company Act
- Global Competitiveness
- Industry Regulation
- Reference Information
- Trade Agreements & Negotiations
- Trade Disputes & Enforcement
- Trade Statistics
- U.S. Trade Laws
OFFICE OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
What We Do:
Improving the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR) is a top priority for the Obama Administration, and frames the mission of ITA’s Office of Intellectual Property Rights (OIPR). Specifically, OIPR facilitates U.S. exports by advancing U.S. IPR trade policy internationally and working with U.S. firms to help them protect their intellectual property at home and abroad.
OIPR advances U.S. IPR interests in domestic and international forums through its participation in interagency and intergovernmental working groups, and as a member of the USG delegation to IPR-related trade negotiations. OIPR also assists U.S. companies facing IPR-related trade barriers abroad by working through various avenues to ensure that trading partners honor their bilateral and multilateral IPR obligations and by providing tools and resources to empower U.S. businesses, including SMEs, to protect and enforce their intellectual property rights in foreign markets.
Who We Are:
- OIPR contributes to the development and implementation of intellectual property rights (IPR) trade policy, including as a Co-Chair of the Transatlantic IPR Working Group, ITA delegate to WTO’s Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPs) Council, and ITA liaison to the National IP Rights Coordination Center and the White House’s Office of the Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator.
- OIPR counsels U.S. companies on strategies for protecting and enforcing their IPR in the U.S. and overseas, and works with interagency colleagues – both in Washington, DC, and at overseas posts – to resolve IPR-related trade barriers on behalf of U.S. rights holders.
- To advance the USG’s education and empowerment goals, OIPR created and manages the USG’s online one-stop-shop for intellectual property rights information and assistance – www.STOPfakes.gov.
- OIPR partners with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the National IPR Coordination Center to conduct STOPfakes.gov Road Shows around the country in an effort to increase SMEs’ awareness of IPR issues from both a law enforcement and trade perspective.